Alt text for image

How to Pay for a Seismic Retrofit in California

Once you’ve made the important decision to strengthen your house against earthquake damage, you need to decide how you’ll pay for it.

California Retrofit Mitigation Program’s (CRMP) Earthquake Brace + Bolt (EBB) program, which launched in 2013, offers grants of up to $3,000 for a residential seismic retrofit. Supplemental Grants that provide additional funding above the $3,000 EBB grant are also available as funds permit for income-eligible homeowners. The Supplemental Grants will have a maximum amount determined by region and type of retrofit. These grants cover retrofits for strengthening specific types of older, wood-frame homes.

California Earthquake Authority (CEA) also developed CEA Brace + Bolt (CEA BB), which helps CEA policyholders afford the cost of an earthquake retrofit in order to strengthen their homes.

In addition to these two programs, there are additional funding options available in California to help you pay to strengthen your home against earthquake damage.

Visit CRMP to learn more about other financial assistance options for a seismic retrofit.

See if Your Home Qualifies for an EBB Retrofit