Program Rules Highlights
For homeowners these include but are not limited to:
- Homeowner must use the house as their primary residence, be the owner of record and live in the house that will be retrofitted.
- The house must be located within one of the ZIP Codes designated by EBB.
- Only one registration per house.
- The house must meet the structural requirements of a California Existing Building Code (CEBC), Chapter A3 (pages 125 - 142) retrofit which is done completely in the crawl space around the perimeter of the foundation.
- For houses with cripple walls 4-feet or less, a contractor or homeowner may complete the retrofit using an approved standard plan set.
- For houses with cripple walls taller than 4-feet an engineered solution is required.
For Contractors these include but are not limited to:
- Contractors must perform all EBB retrofit work in accordance with CEBC Chapter A3 or an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1).
- All retrofit work is done completely in the crawl space around the perimeter of the foundation.
- Contractors must ensure that each and every building permit for an EBB retrofit includes the required references to CEBC Chapter A3 or an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1) for a Type 1 Qualifying House or the required references to engineered plans for a Type 2 Qualifying House.
- To be listed in the EBB Contractor Directory, contractors must be licensed by the State of California and successfully complete the FEMA training.
- Contractors may be removed from the Directory in the event EBB determines that the Participating Contractor has failed to meet the program requirements.
For Design Professionals (engineers and architects) these include but are not limited to:
- Ensure all submissions (e.g., plans, design, letters) completed for an EBB retrofit are in accordance with Chapter A3 of CEBC,
- Not be barred by the State of California or the federal government from bidding on, accepting, or performing any State of Californian or federal-government-funded public works contracts, either as a contractor or subcontractor,
- Demonstrate a commitment to work within the local jurisdiction’s building construction process,
- Design Professionals may be removed from the Directory in the event EBB determines that the Design Professional has failed to meet the program requirements.
EBB has no obligation to maintain, keep current, or monitor licensing, financial condition, contracts, or competence of any Contractor or Design Professional listed on any directory or any other Contractor or Design Professional hired by a Participating Homeowner.
*Resources for strapping and bracing your water heater: Earthquake Country Alliance